Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Day 40 & 41 - The Day the Earth Stood Still

Saturday and Sunday. Well this weekend was really important for me to get myself organized again after being on the go for several weeks. I got up Saturday morning at about 9AM, and I actually watched TV! For a whole hour! I watched this animal planet show about an animal hospital somewhere in the UK. I saw a little owl and some badgers get rescued, but unfortunately a black swan and a little baby deer didn’t make it. oh my gosh it was heartbreaking. The black swan had a broken foot, and they even did surgery to repair it, but it got infected and the foot wasn’t getting any blood flow, so they had to put the swan down. Then, the baby deer was found in a ditch by the side of the road, presumably abandoned by its mom. They tried to bottle feed it, but the deer was so sad that it wouldn’t eat, and ended up dying. Ugh it was heartwrenching.

So after TV, I spent several hours cleaning and doing laundry, took a shower and got ready. I went to the pie store and luckily this time they had a half of a cherry pie left. I bought it. YES! I ate one piece right away. The pie didn’t make it through the weekend. :) I went to the grocery store and I had planned to get some pictures developed to send out with my christmas cards, but I forgot my darn memory stick at home. Oh well.

When I got back to the house around 18:00, i heated up some leftovers, had another piece of pie, worked on my presentation, then I left at about 20:00 with rik to go see “the day the earth stood still” starring Keanu reeves and Jennifer Connelly, two of my very favorite actors. We rode our bikes over to the movie theatre, which is near the town center and only about 5 mins from the house. We got the tickets (seats are assigned in theatres here so you have to buy them a bit early), then went across the street and I got some coffee/hot chocolate to wait for the movie to start at 21:10. the movie was pretty good, I mean I thought I could have been a lot better. It was a bit short so I think they could have made it longer and gone into the plot or character development more. The kid’s character (jaden smith) was really annoying, and keanu reeves (the alien) only said about 5 words the entire movie, mostly just staring blankly into the screen. US secretary of defense (Kathy bates) and the entire us military defenses were terribly cliché of arrogant, aggressive, war-mongering Americans. jennifer connely was pretty good though. did you ever see her balenciaga ads? she looked like an alien in those. fierce.


So sunday i got up, went for a (very cold) run, worked on my presentation, then rode my bike over to the university to watch frank's field hockey game. (frank is MV's cousin). it was SO cold out. i had my usual two jackets on, boots, hat, scarf, gloves, and wow i was freezing.
i chatted with nel for awhile and fred showed up for the second half of the game. i'm going to meet nel for dinner on wednesday. ok so back to the field hockey game. its pretty intense. i've only ever seen women's field hockey in person before (jess b. remember i used to do the scoreboard in college??). but the men's field hockey is a lot more fast paced and crazy. the other team was a bunch of wimps. every few minutes one of them would go down 'injured'. frank's team ended up winning 4-1, thanks to some of his brilliant defensive moves. i think he needs another haircut soon. after the game fred said they would be having a few drinks in the club house, but i was already freezing and it was getting dark and i wanted to iron my clothes for tomorrow so i politely declined. i wanted to hang out with some of the field hockey guys though. oh well had to be responsible. :)

No comments: